Director of Strategy (Full Time)
|Type: Full Time|
|Office Location: Halifax|
Colour’s Director of Strategy will help to manage the explosive growth we have experienced in providing digital solutions to our clients.
The perfect candidate has grown up digital and has a minimum of 7 years of digital strategic planning experience. You are obsessed with knowing the latest and greatest digital trends, and are known to be passionate and curious. This ideal person will have a strong understanding of the interactive and digital realm – specifically, a strong understanding of consumers and target audiences and how they interact and engage with digital content. As well, you should have strong leadership, communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
This future team member leads the creative and media teams with planning initiatives from briefing to execution to reporting. You are the client’s most trusted advisor, providing proactive marketing solutions to their business. This person is equally a client advocate and an agency advocate, a motivated team player who aligns client and agency expectations and positions the agency to deliver great work on the client’s behalf.
As a Director of Strategy you will collaborate across clients, teams, and platforms, and act as an expert on several key accounts in the areas of digital media, website development, online advertising, social media, mobile, and more. You should be able to use research data, coupled with a deep understanding of digital opportunities, to help provide powerful solutions to our clients.
You’ll have an almost obsessive desire to ensure your research generates accurate and effective results. Often working closely with clients, it is important to give them confidence in your understanding of their business and in your own capabilities and campaign plans.
Additionally, you will diligently manage projects, timelines, resources, and budgets for multiple client accounts.
You will wear many hats, and need to look darn good in all of them. You’ll be doing:
Planning & Team Leadership
- Provide strategic council and thought leadership for clients.
- Research and gather data to develop well-informed strategic plans for clients.
- Produce cohesive and intelligent plans and strategies to bring success to campaigns across owned, earned and paid channels. This can include strategic analysis, competition, positioning, messaging, tactics and budget.
- Maintain a strong understanding of market dynamics, targeted client challenges, and competitive strategies.
- Identify and evaluate key business partnerships and make recommendations.
- Understand the client business, operations, and marketing strategies and how these relate to media and communication strategies including trends, issues, and position papers.
- Inspire and lead the team in the development of creative, innovative, and on-strategy marketing solutions grounded in insight.
- Establish and grow strong client, team, and agency relationships.
- Collaborate with agency partners to develop ideas aligned to client strategy.
- Continually monitor and anticipate client needs, identifying areas of both opportunity and risk with regards to achieving business objectives, and increase the value of Colour’s service.
- Provide leadership in areas of training, educating, and motivating towards higher levels of performance.
- Actively and effectively present ideas to expand service offering and enhance positioning of the agency.
- Support integration across unit and functional lines at Colour.
- Attending industry seminars and presentations to improve professional development.
- Pursue new business opportunities and participate as required in new business presentations.
- Maintain a close working relationship with your direct report to develop proposals and present ideas.
Project Management, Production and Social Engagement
- Act as primary point of contact between agency and clients.
- Act as internal gatekeeper for client objectives and strategic vision.
- Remain knowledgeable at all times about the status of projects and ensure work is completed accurately and on time.
- Take responsibility and leadership for end-to-end execution of client projects on time and within budget.
- Create project estimates, workback schedules, and other supporting documentation.
- In some cases, act as agency producer for content production. In other cases, lead an agency producer.
- Lead content marketing/publishing executions. In some cases, write content and create posts and at other times, lead teams that publish.
- When Colour is responsible for social/digital customer engagement, you will at times develop the social playbook, you will oversee resources that are responsible for executing on a social playbook and you will be accountable to the client for reaching service level agreements (SLA).
- Oversee client reporting to ensure that the analysis adheres to the campaign’s strategic objectives and that the insights communicated in the report inform the client’s business.
- Maintain a two-way dialogue with internal team members on expectations and results.
- Manage all aspects of a project budget and initiate documentation process for Change Requests (where necessary).
- Flag recommendations regarding process issues to your direct report or client-owner for resolution.
- Produce post-mortem documentation for internal and external purposes.
- Act as owner and liaison for any external supplier or partner relationships.
- Manage budgets and project scopes; ensure accurate and profitable project estimates are shared with, and approved by, clients.
- Ensure accurate and timely billing process and debt collecting.
- Create and manage BCRs and forecasting reports.
- Ensure optimal agency profitability on clients with a target utilization rate of 80%.
- Actively search for business development opportunities within existing clients.
Having, and maintaining, an in-depth understanding of:
- Digital marketing practices
- Content marketing and production
- Best practices in social customer engagement and social service
- Sales, pitches, presentations, persuasion
- Modern media: Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, Quora, Reddit, Medium, etc
- Modern metrics across owned, earned and paid: Conversion, amplification, ROI/economic value of investments, etc
- Traditional media: radio, TV, print, packaging, OOH
Here are a few things you’ll need for this position:
- A minimum of 7 years experience in a relevant role
- A proven track record in developing strategic plans that benefit the client
- A good knowledge of the media and how strategic planning influences it
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent grasp of data analytics and expert at communicating insights derived from analysis
- The ability to make complex subjects understandable
- The drive to be successful and perform well in all aspects of your strategic work
- The flexibility to work over a number of projects and balance your workload
- History of building positive lasting client relationships
- Demonstrated ability to develop integrated marketing communication plans encompassing all forms of media
- Demonstrated ability to manage and develop staff
- Ability to drive projects from conception to completion; project management experience and strong presentation skills a must
- Experience/involvement in new business planning and presentations preferred
- Independent thinker, creative problem solver with attention to detail
- Ability to translate data into insights for designing client communication strategies
- Strong negotiation skills
- A passion and capacity for endless learning
- The ability to thrive amid ambiguity
- An ownership mentality — no one will be holding your hand
- An awesome, positive personality
- Media buying experience
- Above average Excel skills (e.g. you’ve used VLOOKUP before)
- Software experience:
- Web analytics (e.g. Google Analytics, Omniture)
- Social listening (e.g. Radian6, Sysomos, NUVI)
- Data management (e.g. TapClicks, Caspio, Domo)
- Data visualization (e.g. Tableau)
- CRM/Inbound (e.g. HubSpot, gShift, Marketo)
- Time Reporting (Harvest)
- VBA skills
- Automation experience (e.g. using APIs, writing scripts, or macros)
- Entrepreneurial skills or experience
- Website building and maintenance experience
Ok, those were all skill-based. Here’s a bit more about the type of person we’re looking for:
- You’re proactive
- You can work independently but you’re ultimately a team player
- You’re able to prioritize tasks like a boss
- You love to instruct and inspire
- You’re resourceful and able to execute
- You’re solution-oriented, even and especially, when under pressure
- You’re organized with high attention to detail
- You’re hungry, humble, honest, happy, smart, and driven to create something new
Our main offices are located in Halifax and Toronto with a start-up office in NYC; our clients are based across North America, and even in the Caribbean. Our ideal candidate will be based in our head office in Halifax.
Around here our focus is high performance and achievement. It’s about pushing yourself and everyone around you to perform at their best day in and day out. We run hot, but we offer yoga twice a week to keep us grounded. We happily work at the intersection of humanity and hard data and believe in earning everything we get.
Compensation will reflect your experience.
Get in touch
If this sounds like an environment you’d dig, we’d love to chat. Send us a resume, a description of your past work, and a link to your favourite online video to prove that you’ve read this entire job description.
Email email@example.com with the subject line ‘Director of Strategy application’.
Senior Designer (Full Time)
|Type: Full Time|
|Office Location: Halifax|
Do you find yourself recognizing particularly overused stock photos on your commute to
work? Do you pick your paint colours using a pantone swatch book? Does badly kerned
type give you nightmares?
If so, you may be the next Senior Designer for Colour Halifax.
We’re looking for a candidate who isn’t afraid to push creative boundaries; someone who
can consistently create innovative designs that communicate with oomph.
As a small shop, we need someone with a breadth of skills. At a minimum you’ll need to produce top-notch design work; but you’ll also be expected to:
- Work closely with the Creative Director to ensure implementation of the vision and direction for clients
- Work collaboratively with the design and account teams to produce creative design solutions in all mediums—social media, mobile, print, packaging, websites, banners, etc.
- Develop original design concepts for multiple projects simultaneously
- Supervise and mentor younger designers and freelancers to ensure consistent, high-quality work
- Contribute to making Colour Halifax a fun and exciting place to be
Here are a few things you’ll need to have:
- A stellar portfolio
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Design or a related field
- Kickass creativity
- 5+ years of experience doing awesome design work—preferably in an agency setting.
- A keen eye for detail and design asthetics
- Mastery of Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign and PowerPoint
- Experience delivering on production specs (bleeds, live areas, etc.)
- An ability to juggle between projects and meet tight deadlines
- Solid understanding of web technologies: browsers, platforms and devices as well as social media and web functionality
- Experience with online advertising (banner design and production, rich media advertising, HTML e-mails, screensavers, games) is an asset
- Voracious appetite to produce great design, to work hard and to have fun
And some nice-to-haves:
- Personal experience in online content creation, like a blog, music site, comics, whatever
- An understanding of the power of data from a creative perspective; including how to interpret a Google Analytics dashboard
Compensation will reflect your experience.
GET IN TOUCH
If this sounds like an environment you’d dig, we’d love to chat. Send us a resume, a link to your portfolio, and a link to your favourite online video to prove that you’ve read this entire job description.
Send your application to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line ‘Senior Designer application’.